My country

Genre: Poetry
Title: My Country
Author: John King Ayanfe ©

My country, a beloved to my soul
An abode of my birth and my unborn death
I have heard of your fertile soil
Oh, your abundance be yet a host to dearth

Many tribes like branches on the giant sequoia tree
You're a giant! Taller than Kilimanjaro - yeah, Mount Everest
Stronger than trojan's horses - swifter than bald eagles
Lo, upon your shoulders echoes thunderous lamentations

On a sick bed you lay weak and dying
Whilst penury, hardscrabble, corruption and tears feast on you
Our doctors have failed to ad-misnister true elixir
Just golden promises with harsh reality

This unfair troubles make our breath heavier than Olumo rock
A new day is borne unto this broken land
Her illness shall be washed away
Song we shall sing - Dance we shall - playing our gangan

Around the trees and atop the mountains shall we celebrate
Our troubles shall solely be written in history
Arise o, compatriot. Come now to beautify this land
Be us all a builder of a great nation

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even if I bow

Storms within my soul